- Are you looking for the best home remedies for constipation?
- Looking for fast, immediate constipation relief?
- Do you prefer to use natural remedies for constipation?
- Do you want to cure constipation now?
- Looking for a constipation herbal remedy?
You have come to the right place !!
The best home remedies for constipation are natural. These include foods that soften stools and increase bulk and natural substances that increase gastric motility.
These are easy adaptations to make and can help cure constipation in the elderly.
Because I do not like to recommend anything I haven't tried ... either professionally or personally ... this is not an all inclusive list.
It is, instead, a list of the best home remedies for constipation that I have personally seen good results by using. Some of the more stimulative herbal treatments I have not listed, primarily because they caused too much abdominal cramping in the elderly.
What works for you may not work well for your elderly loved one. Remember that your body is different, possibly much younger, than your elders.
The best course of treatment that I have seen is anything that softens the stool and provides a gentle, stimulative action. Most interventions can be continued to aid in the prevention of further episodes of constipation.
- PRUNES: Prunes and prune juice work very well to relieve constipation. Dried prunes are usually well liked by the elderly. For acute episodes of constipation, try warm prune juice, about 6-8 ounces, in the evening before bed. Not only do prunes and prune juice work well for fast constipation relief, they also provide plenty of good nutrients and fiber.
- BANANAS: Bananas are another fruit that works well to cure constipation because they are high in fiber and help regulate the bowels. They also work well for treatment of diarrhea for the same reasons.
- RAISINS: Raisins are highly nutritious and also work well to relieve constipation. One of the best home remedies for constipation is eating a handful of raisins every morning that have been soaked overnight in 6-8 ounces of water or milk. Have your loved one eat the raisins and drink the water.
- OLIVE OIL: The "good" fat in olive oil works to both soften stools and lubricate passage. Use extra virgin olive oil and mix with water or juice. Start with 1/4 cup and move up from there.
- CABBAGE JUICE: Cabbage juice is a very powerful laxative. If other options have not worked, try having them drink 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cabbage juice, starting with once a day and increasing to twice a day only if necessary. Although this is one of the best home remedies for constipation, it is also very powerful.
- BOWEL CAKE: Yes, I said bowel cake. It is a cake made from 1 cup of high bran cereal, 1 cup fruit (dried apricots, prunes, raisins and figs), 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk and 1 cup flour. Combine first 4 ingredients and let sit for at least an hour. Add flour and back on a sheet pan or shallow baking dish for 35-45 minutes at 350 degrees F. We made this in bulk in the nursing home and served to all patients that had constipation problems with great results. Serve a 1 X 1 inch square with coffee in the morning.
These are the best home remedies for constipation. Try them out. But only one at a time. Most of the time, one of these simple remedies is all that is needed to cure constipation.
If you find good results from one particular item used to treat acute constipation, try lowering the amount and making it a part of your loved one's regular diet.
The bowel cake can be used daily to prevent constipation as well. It actually tastes quite good, so make sure you keep it separate from normal snacks in your house. You don't want anyone eating a half dozen of them !!
Return from Home Remedies for Constipation to Constipation Remedies
Return from Home Remedies for Constipation to Home Page