How to Stop Diarrhea
Easy Steps to Stop Diarrhea in the Elderly
Knowing how to stop diarrhea in the elderly is vital to prevent complication such as electrolyte imbalance and dehydration.
Sometimes your elderly loved one may just want the discomfort to stop.
Diarrhea, however, can be the body’s way of eliminating toxins or infections.
There are a few instances when it is not safe to use anti-diarrhea medications.
in particular, should not be treated with over the counter medications.
Although I believe thoroughly and completely in natural and home remedies, C diff is not a situation that can, or should, be treated at home successfully.
If you have reviewed the
causes of diarrhea
and you feel comfortable knowing how to stop diarrhea at home, you can certainly try some options.
Deaths from diarrhea in the elderly are usually related to dehydration and can occur very rapidly. Electrolyte imbalance can impair the heart's ability to function properly as well.
The serious side effect of dehydration should not be taken lightly.
Remember, your elderly family member does not recover as quickly as you do from the same event. Knowing how to stop diarrhea can help prevent many of these complications from occurring.
Some of the options available to stop diarrhea are listed below. Before immediately using medications, try some of the more natural and diet focused interventions.
- Foods for diarrhea: There are certain foods that will help stop diarrhea. Easy and quick additions to the diet can make a huge difference.
- One of the best books I have read on controlling diarrhea through diet is Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet. There are many reviews available on Amazon on how effective following this diet can be.
- BRAT diet: Learn how to treat at home with the addition of these 4 food groups. This works well on infants and toddlers, as well as the elderly.
- Medications to stop diarrhea: A review of the over the counter medications available and how and when to use them. Always consult with their doctor before adding any new medications.
- Stop diarrhea naturally:
Along with diet, there are several herbal supplements that may help if a diet for diarrhea isn’t working. Learn how to stop diarrhea naturally with these supplements.
Probiotics have been proven to be effective in replenishing the good bacteria in the gut and help to balance intestinal health. The brand that we most often used in the hospitals and nursing homes is Enzymatic Therapy Acidophilus Pearls (90 Capsules)
- Medical diarrhea treatment: When home remedies fail, your loved one may need medical intervention.
They may need to be admitted overnight for IV fluids and supportive care.
Review what the typical treatment protocols are to stop diarrhea that may be used if your loved on is hospitalized. Knowing what to expect in advance can make the process easier on you both.
Learning how to treat diarrhea at home is not difficult. And in most circumstances this can be treated without medical intervention.
With the elderly especially, though, complications can occur rapidly and be extremely serious.
If you see any signs of dehydration, fatigue, poor appetite or fever, contact the physician immediately.
Once dehydration occurs in the elderly, damage to the kidneys and other organs can occur rapidly.
It is fine to attempt home remedies, but keep a close eye on them and don’t hesitate to seek medical help.
Return from How to Stop Diarrhea to Elder Home Care Help Home Page